Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Summer Fun #1: An Attorney Makes Goins' Short Ribs for Obama

In an effort to make Food. She Thought a more interactive space this summer for my readers and myself I have started a poll! And what better way to kick off the early summer fun than with my mom, sandwiched in between Mother's Day and her birthday.

image courtesy of McClellan Jet Services

Mom is a corporate bankruptcy attorney, working hard over the last year in Sacramento and parts of northern California. She is a mad cook, and the genesis of my love and obsession with food and its trappings can surely be found in my childhood.

Hobby:
Cooking; collecting antiques and (in a very small way) art;
gardening; wine and food.

Last meal you ate:
Buffalo wing salad for lunch.

Ice cream treat preference:
Jamocha almond fudge or peach Melba.

image courtesy of flickr

Obama is coming to dinner! What would you serve for a 5 course meal?
Stuffed mushrooms; mixed baby greens with pears and pomegranate
seeds; short ribs with pureed potatoes [recipe from Sunday Suppers at Lucques]; and panna cotta with Melba sauce.

image courtesy of Hakka House Blog

Desert island 3:
Lemon grass grilled shrimp; mango/raspberry/honeydew melon
fruit salad with lime vinaigrette; and Vietnamese salad rolls. (I'm
picturing the island as warm.)

image courtesy of Popular Asians

Cooking mishap?
Overcooking shrimp on the barbie.

Ethic/culinary heritage? Do you cook anything traditional to this heritage?
Scottish; are you kidding? Bangers and haggis? Not a chance!

image courtesy of Sales in Scotland

How did you learn to cook?
Self taught - I saw articles about all those wonderful dishes, and
thought that the only way I'd get to try them was to cook them myself.

One thing you will never eat.
Haggis; insects.

image courtesy of Thoughts on Parking

No comments: