Monday, January 17, 2011

I Want a Goat: Goat's Milk Butter Hollandaise

DSC_2992

Sunday morning with K on the couch and odd ends in the fridge, I threw down a surprisingly delicious Eggs Benedict using goat's milk butter in my hollandaise sauce. Major wow effect.

goat's milk butter hollandaise1


Cornmeal Drop Biscuits
1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. yellow cornmeal
1 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. milk
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
1 c uncased chicken apple sausage
1c grated Parmesan reggiano
Vegetable cooking spray
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine milk, oil, egg, sausage and cheese Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen biscuits.


DSC_2972


Adapted from Cooks.com. My changes are in red. I wasn't actually thrilled with the biscuits, they ended up a little too dense. I looked specifically for a recipe with no baking soda as I refused to leave the house.  Next time I'll try a different one. They weren't bad, they were more than edible. Maybe I should be thinking of them more as a scone, with that scone-like density and less a biscuit.


DSC_2976

Goat's Milk Butter Hollandaise Sauce
      4 egg yolks
      1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
      1/2 cup goat's milk butter, melted (1 stick)
      Pinch paprika
      Pinch  sea salt

Vigorously whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together in a stainless steel bowl and until the mixture is thickened and doubled in volume. Place the bowl over a saucepan containing barely simmering water (or use a double boiler,) the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Continue to whisk rapidly. Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble. Slowly drizzlein the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume. Remove from heat, whisk in cayenne and salt. Cover and place in a warm spot until ready to use for the Eggs Benedict. If the sauce gets too thick, whisk in a few drops of warm water before serving.


DSC_2977

This recipe was adapted from Tyler Florence from the Food Network. Again, my changes are in red. The recipe calls for one stick of butter, which I know is half a cup.  I also know that in measures of volume half a cup equals 8 ounces, but I wasn't sure exactly what this would translate into in terms of mass. Instead of guessing I pulled out one of my handy food scales. No, I did not buy this for weighing drugs, I am drug free.  I was happy to discover that despite my nipping away at the goat's milk butter now and again to spread on crackers I had exactly 8 ounces left. Ta da!

goat's milk butter hollandaise4


The changes in both recipes were simple, tailored only with regard to what was currently hanging around in my fridge.  The change from regular butter to goat's milk butter is simple enough and really elevated that hollandaise sauce from something standard to something sublime.

goat's milk butter hollandaise5
Clockwise from upper left: whisking the yolks over a pan of simmering water, see the textural changes as the liquid thickens, you can see the mixture start to get chunky as the eggs started cooking too quickly so we took it off the heat, to get the texture I wanted I added a couple tablespoons of hot water and continued to whisk.  

goat's milk butter hollandaise

Counter clockwise from upper left: cornmeal drop biscuits, perfectly poached eggs, hollandaise with an edible nasturtium and mint to garnish. I have now mastered one of the important mother sauces of France. First time perfection is unusual in my kitchen, I am ending my weekend incredibly self satisfied.
Taking personalization a step further, my husband is one who doesn't care to eat several tablespoon fulls of butter first thing in the morning. I topped his eggs with a cup of errant tomato sauce I found in the front of the fridge from throwing together a plate of pasta here the other evening.  This too was delicious, healthier although not as special tasting. And I don't garnish someone else's cooking! ;-p
DSC_2991

9 comments:

It's With A K said...

I want you to have a goat, too! It was such an incredible pleasure to have been the lucky recipient of this delicious breakfast. Thank you, Chef FoodSheThought :-)

Anonymous said...

Great Job, Liz! Sounds delicious. The poached eggs look perfect. What's your secret?
Ruth

Food, she thought. said...

Thank you K! It's always inspiring to cook for you!

Ruth, I use a deep sided saute pan filled close to the top with water so the eggs are completely submerged. PLenty of salt, white balsamic vinegar. I get the water hot enough to simmer then back of the heat until the water is still, then drop in the eggs. I watch and poke them carefully, and when the eggs seem done (yolks still a touch runny in the middle) I pull them out with a slotted spoon. Ta da!

Kitten with a Whisk said...

This looks heavenly and sinful!

Unknown said...

Last glass of bubbly and reading about your eggs benedict and drooling over the pictures...aaah, I love edible floweres!!!...A perfect way to end a Friday night. Miss you!

Momma said...

Wow! Eggs Benedict - does it get any better than that! Liz, you have to ask EKD about Zlateh the goat. We called her Lateh for short. Memmories. You brings em. Love, Momma

Lily's Uhm-ma said...

I want to bathe in your hollendaise, Liz! :) Another beautiful at-home cooking blog. My favorite kind because I always picture you floating around the kitchen working your magic.

muriqui said...

Amazing.
Have I ever said how much I love you? And your food.

Sasa said...

I can totally see how you'd want a goat after reading this but...have you seen their weird eyes? Freaky...