Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Lorenzillo's: Cancun & Los Cabos Since 1683



While traveling from el aeropuerto to our hotel, no less than three unrelated people suggested Lorenzillo's in the marina for the city's best lobster. I tend to be rather wary of the reccomendations of people working in the tourist industry when I am abroad. I have been sent to one too many tourist traps, and had one too many meals surrounded solely by English speaking Americans. (Truly, once in Paris was more than enough, but it has happened far more than one time.) My tendency now is to seek out references for my meals via acquaintances and cross-referencing internet resources.

Upon attempting to check into our hotel, we were told our room would not be ready til early evening. So, we borrowed the hospitality suite, changed into beach garb and set out to explore cabo San Lucas. Disembarking from a water taxi in the marina, Lorenzillo's loomed large above us. I am a firm disbeliever in fate and the, "things happen for a reason" approach to life. However, D was grumbling about hunger and I wanted some wine. We climbed the stairs to the nearly empty main dining room and sat down to a lobster feast extraordinaire.

The waiter first brought our examples of the beautiful fresh shellfish they had to offer. Giant prawns, king crab, langostino, and so on.







I started my meal with oysters on the half shell, and was more than happy to accompany them with a slightly overpriced yet always delicious yellow label Veuve Clicquot. D started his meal with a massive platter of stone crab, fresh and thoughtfully pre-cracked for easy shelling.




For mains, we both went for the lobster, natch. His was served in a light marinara with pasta. Mine was covered but not smothered in a lovely savory cilantro sauce that made my tastebuds hum blissfully. Both lobsters were steamed perfectly, not a tough bite between the two.




Although the lobster was perfection, the star on my plate was Lorenzillo's pureed spinach. I ate every bite & I might even have snuck a bite or two from someone else's plate when they weren't looking. This version of pureed spinach has a thick consistency, almost like mashed potatoes. But the flavor! This is not your runny, American steakhouse creamed spinach. Our waiter reported that the spinach includes bacon, a touch of cream and nuts. For just a second I feared I might be eating what amounts to a pile of lard with some spinach for coloring. But he assured us there was only a little bacon for flavor. And truly, I didn't give a pig's ass what was in it.



The rest of the day and into the long night I thought about that spinach. The next morning I wanted it for breakfast. In true D&L form, we went to Lorenzillo's for lunch again that day.



This time we ate a little lighter, both in calories and in wallet. I ordered a big side of the spinach and a lovely little tuna tartare. They say the tuna you eat in Cabo really is caught right off shore that day or the day previous. As a tourist on holiday, I would buy the Brooklyn Bridge if you asked nicely enough. But I do know they go fishing for tuna in those waters, and my tartare was fresh and beautiful enought to give into a plausible story.



D ordered a wonderful ceviche, just acidic enough with lots and lots of octopus.
He also tucked into a nice seafood soup, but I was too busy with my spinach to get a photo. This, however, was a view off outside dining area of Lorenzillo's, through the marina and into the sea beyond!

No comments: