1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.
The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile...crocodile sausage in New Orleans.
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
10. Baba ghanoush
12. Pho (shocking, I know.)
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart(There's one down the hill from my house on weekend nights!)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras -although I typically steer clear of it these days.
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche...but I prefer a tiny cajeta.
28. Oysters...as often as possible.
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl I used to live in San Francisco....this is not exotic to moi.
33. Salted lassi...this sounds seductive.
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar ...we used to keep a bottle of Hennessey Paradis in the house.
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O..one of my toes is a frat girl!
40. Oxtail*waves to mom*
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects ...at Gualegetza on 8th, unfortunately.
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more...I have a very specific memory of this, with D, but I cannot remember where we were. Go figure.
47. Chicken tikka masala
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut...I prefer eel.
50. Sea urchin...an article in Vanity Fair a few years back said that the world's most highly prized uni comes off the shore of Catalina. I am still not a fan.
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi...I snacked on these in a bar in the Golden Gai.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal...nowadays, I won't eat a Big Mac, but I honestly adore the angus burger.
58. Beer above 8% ABV Carling Black Label 10%.
59. Poutine No, but I will if I ever get the chance. Canadian Tommy fries.
60. Carob chips
63. Kaolin..as in kaolin clay?
65. Durian...dying to try this. They sell it down the road at the Asian market.
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake..these are not synonymous.
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absintheThanks to Josh Stearns and the great Absinthe taste off.
74. Gjetost, or brunost
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
79. Lapsang souchongHates.
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant Joel Robuchon at The Mansion
85. Kobe beef
90. Criollo chocolate
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish...I love a good bottom feeder.
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
Born and raised in California, and having lived in London for a couple years, there is not a lot that is exotic to me. Some things that are found in Southeast Asia or India, and not frequently making their way to our ethnic restaurants....but what a fun list!