Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Michy's and the Miami Heat

December 23rd we decided to pose as true Miamians and go to a Miami Heat game in the American Airlines Arena. They were shooting against the Golden State Warriors and playing well. I scored some amazing seats from a nice lady on Craigslist, and we were spitting distance from the court for less money than it costs to get into Disneyland. I have to say, I am not a fan of the American Airlines Arena. There is just too much going on in there in terms of special effects and other attractions. They actually had a DJ spinning the entire time the game was being played. Lights flashed on and off during game play, billboards changed and the rapidity of the changing music and its sheer volume drowned out any and all of the beautiful sounds of sneakers on court. Eventually the level of stimulation got the better of us and we headed out at halftime for a more peaceful setting and something to fill our gullets.

Michy's 6927 Biscayne Blvd.
Miami, FL 33138
(305) 759-2001

Because we were far from SOBE, we headed to Michy's.


Of course, I know that Michelle Bernstein's first restaurant is one of Gourmet's Top 50 in the country. I also know her personality from Top Chef season to season as a recurring guest judge. I was dying to try her food and check out her atmosphere.

Anyone well acquainted with the LA culinary scene would reminisce about the similarities to Lou on Vine. Like Lou's, Michy's is in a strange sort of retail-esque or office-esque space, long and narrow with the back built out into a kitchen and a bar.


Almost the exact same layout as Lou, with wine storage and the pantry chef in the bar area. Additionally, she has prettied it up with intricate wallpaper, curtains covering one long wall...


The interior to me feels very Caribbean, with intricate shell lamps that are both elegant and casual at the same time. There are many of these around the room and coupled with the slightly shabby chic furniture, it has a decidedly dressed up beachy feel.

We had a late lunch on the 23rd, so we chose a few light items just to tease ourselves.

I was dying for the truffle poached egg over grilled asparagus with Parmesan cheese. The truffle poached egg was amazing. I want these for breakfast everyday.


Breakfast, everyday.

Nearly everything she offers can be ordered as a half size or a full size, so we ordered two half size main courses to share. Above is a crispy skinned loup de mer in a light broth with artichokes. It was delightful. I could easily have eaten a full size. It was served atop some frisee with braised carrots and celery, it was simple and light, yet richly flavorful.


D tried the pappardelle with spotted prawns in a shrimp broth. This was actually quite rich, the broth was very dark and I am guessing the chef started with a roux. There was a nice Creole flavor to this dish, and with the pasta it was very satisfying.

I feel like this was the experience that got away on this trip. I would have loved to come in and properly dine...but the visit let me know what I am missing and is making me anticipate my next trip to Florida.

No comments: