Thursday, May 21, 2009

An Aside: I am becoming my mother.

My personal addiction to zip-lock baggies must equal the carbon footprint of a small tropical third-world country. They have so many uses: snacks & lunches, participant materials for the trainings I run such as post-it notes, highlighters & Mr. Sketch markers, my students kept their rock collections organized in zip-lock bags while constructing their displays, and so on and so forth and on and on and on.


I am sure millions of people all over the country use giant zip-lock bags for marinating. Mom does this. She used to marinate meats and veg in a Pyrex dish and then turn ingredients every 2-12 hours (depending on the process) using a slotted spoon.

Now she, like me, puts everything in a gallon size zip-lock baggy and simply reaches into the fridge and flips the baggy with one hand while holding a full wine glass with the other.

Tonight we will be eating roasted cauliflower and cilantro/garlic marinated shrimp skewers. My poison of choice is one strong-ass margarita and the Laker-Nugget game. Happy Thursday, readers.



PS: Will 2009 be the year they create a zip-lock baggy large enough to brine the 18 pound Thanksgiving turkey?

7 comments:

Jonah said...

Ziploc Big Bags. Put the turkey in there.

oddlyme said...

Oh! A ziplock bag big enought to brine a turkey?!!! You just put a name to my dream. (yearning sigh.)

My dad makes incredible gravlax, turning and basting for days. I take his same recipe, put it in a ziplock and flip and swish with ease. Love those bags.

Food, she thought. said...

Jonah: I can see this. Put the turkey and brine in the zip lock bag, put the zip lock bag in a cardboard box for structural integrity, and surround the baggie with blue bags of dry ice to keep it cool. Change ice bags 2-3x daily Am I feeling another TG in my near future?

Odd: See Jonah's suggestion.

mrsdukes said...

I use ziplock bags all the time for it! One less dish to worry about and it couldn't be easier when it comes to massaging the meat. ;)

Food, she thought. said...

Mrs Dukes: Did you say something about massaging meat? *snickers*

mikster said...

Would you be so kind as to share your recipe for the roasted cauliflower and cilantro/garlic marinated shrimp skewers? It looks so yummy!!

Food, she thought. said...

Mikster:

I didn't really use a recipe for either dish. I processed onebubxh of cilantro, several garlic cloves and some sea salt with olive oil for marinating the shrimp. The cauliflower was simply tossed with olive oil, garlic and a diced shallot. I broiled the cauliflower on low for 30 minutes, turning once. Then I turned the broiler up for a few minutes at the end to crisp the edges of the cauliflower. It was delicious!!!