Friday, July 31, 2009

Whole Lotta Dog Love at Bark n' Bitches on Fairfax


Bark n' Bitches
505 N. Fairfax Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90189
(323) 655-0155
http://www.myspace.com/barknbitches
Bark n' Bitches Yelp

This is a store that puts their time and money where their mouth is with regard to rescue dogs. Bark n' Bitches keeps between 4 and 6 adoptable dogs at a time housed in their beautiful store ready for adoption. The owner picks dogs up from one of 3 shelters, grooms them, houses them and cares for and feeds them until someone adopts each and every one.

I'd like you to meet an adorable terrier whose name I cannot remember. A dog like this could change my mind about small dogs. She was so interactive and friendly.

And Hannah.

Below is Sundance.

I was completely enamored of Sundance.

And Zooey, who would not stand still long enough to snap a good pic of her beautiful face.

My two amazingly smart, fun and loving god children having fun with one of the free-roaming hounds.

We were just strolling past Bark n' Bitches with time to kill, when I decided to shop for a dog bed for Jackson.

The three of us spent time with all the dogs and Lauren, the cool chick running the store and trouble shooting. While we were there, a good Samaritan from a gas station called. One of their recently adopted out dogs had been found with a Bark n' Bitches dog tag on its collar running the streets near a local gas station. When she closed up shop in 10 minutes, her first priority was to run down and get the dog at the gas station and bring it back to the store.

In addition to spending their time and money doing much needed & never ending dog rescue work here in Los Angeles, this indie shop carries some of the coolest merchandise I have ever seen at actually very fair prices. (Compared to the closest indie shop to me in Silverlake, whose prices are akin to highway robbery.) Here are some shots of merchandise that caught my eye.

Artsy elevated feeding station.

V cool highly elevated feeding station...Daisy would have loved this. It looks like it was made out of an old (v old) soda fountain. I have never seen anything cooler. This is industrial art.

Requisite fluffy toys.

Carrying cases for the small dog minded.

The selection of collars is gob stopping. I bought Jackson a lovely black leather collar studded with steel stars. I am not sure he is cool enough for it, but we are going to give it a whirl. If you look closely, some of them look like Western tooled leather belts, some with Swarofski crystals, soft leather with delicate metal studding like a Calleen Cordero sandal, and so on.

Above is another item I caved on, antlers found on the ground during antler shedding season. Then boiled and sanded and ready for weeks worth of chewing.

I took home the big bed on top for my special canine, the black one with white bones. The top is made from very short sheared sheep skin. As soon as I set it on the floor, Jackie lay down on it and wouldn't move. He has been suffering a poorly filled and sized Target bed recently, and I think he was communicating something along the lines of, "It's about damn time you got me a decent bed, you ingrates."

Change. Save a life. Adopt.

5 comments:

Dana said...

I've been thinking about adopting a dog recently... I will HAVE to check this out :)

Carrie said...

Love this post. Mostly because I want a dog, but also because of the shot of your two gorgeous god-children. They are all growns up!

Food, she thought. said...

I am so in love with both Hannah and Sundance, I highly recommend both of you going in an snatching one up. Both are the type of small dog that looks like a big dog, both in very good health and spirits, and super interactive with humans, well socialized.

Unknown said...

We have to go there next time I come up! Maybe I'll even come home with a new dog :-)

I love those people for making dog rescue such a integral component of their daily lives.

SinoSoul said...

cuuute! doggies! compare this.. to the local feed store, where they had puppies for $600.. makes me sad. BLAH!