Friday, November 7, 2008

Saying Goodbye to Slim in Michael Mina at the St. Francis

It felt as though we were all driving somewhat blindly back to the city from Pleasanton after spending the day basically in vigil at Slim's brother's house, saying goodbye and sharing stories and so on. The five of us ended up by our hotel in Union Square, badly needing drinks and a quiet place to sit. We were in front of the St. Francis and with very little conversation ended up walking through the doors and sitting at the bar in Micahel Mina. I think I used the men's room.


This is such a lovely hotel. The hotel is so old school, reminds me a fair amount of New York's Waldorf Astoria, but maybe a hair more well maintained. The modernity of the Michael Mina establishment look completely out of place in the lobby, but the St. Francis and I go way back so I am biased. At any rate there were five seats at the bar for our collective behinds and we sat.

Looking through the bar, back into the restaurant. I have to add, our bartender was incredibly useless and kind of an ass. But the sommelier was kind, gentle and firm and suggested a beautiful bottle of bubbly to soothe our aching hearts. And we ate cheese.

Cow cheese.

Goat cheese.

Cheese from a sheep's milk.

We drank, we snacked and we left. We were drinking and toasting to our dear and much beloved friend Slim, at nearly precisely the moment he passed away. 1 am, November 2. 2008.

RIP, my friend,

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Sorry to hear about your friend, but it sounded like you celebrated his life well.

On an unrelated note, the debate between Michael Mina and Gary Danko seems to be constantly going back and forth. Good to see more posts on either restaurant.

Food, she thought. said...

I have never been to Gary Danko in SF, and only to Mina in SF once when he was at Aqua. I will always stand firmly by Mina, I have never had a bad morsel at a Mina establishment. And thank you for your kind thoughts.